Create Extended Storage
- Connecting to a SAP HANA system.
- Verifying the status of SAP HANA dynamic tiering.
- Create extended storage for the Dynamic Tiering host.
- System: Access to an SAP HANA 2.0 system with the optional SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering component installed.
- Credentials: Connection details to initially connect as the “SYSTEM” user.
- Integrated Development Environment: Basic working knowledge of SAP HANA Studio. E.g. You should be able to connect to your HANA instance from SAP HANA Studio and feel comfortable with executing simple queries.
- Step 1
Open SAP HANA Studio. In the SAP HANA Administration Console perspective, right click in the white space within the Systems view on the left. Next select the Add System… menu item to execute it. You can also press S.
Enter the Host Name and the Instance Number of the SAP HANA host you will connect to. When you are done, click Next. You can also press Alt+N.
SYSTEM” as the User Name and enter your Password. Click the Store user name and password in secure storage checkbox so you won’t have to re-enter your credentials when re-connecting to the system. Next click Finish or press Alt+F.
- Step 2
In the System view on the left side, double click on your system (format:
<SID> (SYSTEM)) to open up the “Overview” tab.
In the Overview tab and under General Information, check the status of SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering (It should be under Distributed System). If what you see is:
- Empty and/or the “SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering” line does not exist, it probably means that Dynamic Tiering is not installed. Please install and register Dynamic Tiering before proceeding.
- Status of “Errors” with a red circle. It might mean that Dynamic Tiering is not running. Please restart the Dynamic Tiering process before proceeding.
- Status of “Installed but not running yet” with a yellow triangle, then proceed to Create Extended Storage section below.
- Status of “Running” with a green box, then you are all set and can skip the rest of this tutorial section by scrolling to the bottom of this lesson and clicking the link to part 2.
In the Overview tab, under General Information, if SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering shows status "errors" with a red circle, it means:
- Step 3
Right click on your system (format:
<SID> (SYSTEM)) located under the Systems view. Then select Open SQL Console to open a connected SQL console.
In the SQL console, paste in the following script:sqlCopy
CREATE EXTENDED STORAGE AT '<your.machine.name>' size 1000 MB;`
<your.machine.name>” with the host name of the machine where the Dynamic Tiering component is installed.
Click the Execute button to run the SQL script and create the extended storage
dbspacefor SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering. You can also press F8. Make sure it completes successfully. Go back to the Verify Extended Storage Status section to verify that extended storage is set up successfully.
- Step 4
The “CREATE EXTENDED STORAGE” statement creates the warm store and the required
dbspaceis a logical name for a container of files used to store the Dynamic Tiering table data and related objects.
Dbspacesare specialized to manage specific types of data. Types of
dbspacesused by Dynamic Tiering include
ES_DELTAetc. Creating the extended storage
dbspaceis a prerequisite to creating extended tables.