Implement Logic for a Custom Business Object
- Authorizations: Your user needs a business role with business catalog Extensibility (ID:
SAP_CORE_BC_EXT) in your S/4HANA Cloud system
- How to enable logic implementation for a custom business object
- How to implement changing custom business object database
- How to implement checking a custom business object before save
- How to implement saving or reject saving of a custom business object
- How to implement informing the end user about save
- How to ease development and test already while doing it
At the end your application will set some data automatically and reject a save with an error message for the causing inconsistencies.
A several tutorials spanning example will show extensibility along custom Bonus Management applications.
In the first parts a Manager wants to define business objects Bonus Plan for employees. A Bonus Plan is there to save employee specific rules for bonus entitlement.
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Release (tutorial’s last update): 1808
- Step 1
As there was no backend implementation to set the mandatory key field
IDso far, we were forced to set it from the UI to be able to save instances. Now, as we will implement the logic to set the ID in backend and nowhere else, we will set that key field to Read-Only for the UI.
Open the business object Bonus Plan in Custom Business Objects application
Start Edit Mode by executing the Edit Draft action.
Switch to Fields section.
Check the Read-Only box for key field
- Step 2
Switch to General Information section.
Check the box for Determination and Validation
Publish the business object.
Now you are enabled to implement Determination logic which is called after each modification to a Bonus Plan instance from the UI, as well as Validation logic which is called before each save of an instance.
Only in Determination logic you are able to change custom business object data.
Validation logic is intended to check the business object, decide whether a save can be performed and provide the end user a message with helpful information like successful save or the reason for which a save had to be rejected.
- Step 3
For published Custom Business Objects without a Draft version you can implement logic.
- Switch to Logic section.
- Enter the After Modification Event Logic which is a Determination Logic.
- In the logic view you initially see the not editable empty published version.
Click the Create Draft action.
An editable copy of the published version appears left to it. With the Draft Version and Published Version actions you can decide what coding to see.
- Switch to Logic section.
- Step 4
Implement After Modification event with following fix value functionality:
Set the key field
IDif still initial.
Hint: Changing Parameter
bonusplanenables you to read current node data and change it.
Hint: You can read existing Bonus Plan data via the CDS View that is named as the Business Object’s Identifier (here:
Hint: With the key combination CTRL + Space you can access the very helpful code completion.ABAPCopy
* set ID IF bonusplan-id IS INITIAL. SELECT MAX( id ) FROM yy1_bonusplan INTO @DATA(current_max_id). bonusplan-id = current_max_id + 1. ENDIF.
Set the Unit of Measure for the Bonus Percentages to
P1which is the code for % (percent)ABAPCopy
* set percentage unit bonusplan-lowbonuspercentage_u = bonusplan-highbonuspercentage_u = 'P1'.
Determine and set the Employee Name from the Employee ID
Hint: Extensibility offers Helper class
GET_USER_FORMATTED_NAMEthat needs a user ID to return its formatted nameABAPCopy
* set Employee Name IF bonusplan-employeeid IS NOT INITIAL. bonusplan-employeename = cl_abap_context_info=>get_user_formatted_name( bonusplan-employeeid ). ENDIF.
- Step 5
In dependence on following checks, set the
- Check that
ValidityEndDateare set and that
ValidityStartDateis earlier in time than
- Check that Factors and Percentages are set correctly (all > 0, Percentages < 100,
- Check that Employee ID is set
* consistency check START IF bonusplan-validitystartdate IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-validityenddate IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-validitystartdate GE bonusplan-validityenddate OR bonusplan-lowbonusassignmentfactor IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-highbonusassignmentfactor IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-lowbonuspercentage_v IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-highbonuspercentage_v IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-lowbonuspercentage_v GE 100 OR bonusplan-highbonuspercentage_v GE 100 OR bonusplan-lowbonusassignmentfactor GE bonusplan-highbonusassignmentfactor OR bonusplan-employeeid IS INITIAL. bonusplan-isconsistent = abap_false. ELSE. bonusplan-isconsistent = abap_true. ENDIF. * consistency check END
- Check that
- Step 6
On top of the coding you can maintain runtime data for the current node structure which represents the data before running the test functionality. This data can also be saved as variant for later usages.
Click the value help to add test data
Enter following data
Field Name Field Value
<any>shall be the one of a sales person that created sales orders with a Net Amount of more than 3000.00 EUR in 2016 and that are completed.
This will look as follows.
Execute the Test action and you can see the node data after your logic was executed.
You can see that your logic works as
employenameare filled and
Publish the After Modification Logic.
- Step 7
Being in After Modification logic you can get to Before Save Logic this way:
- Go Back in application
- In Tab “Logic”, go to section “Determination and Validation”
Implement Before Save event with following functionality
If the bonus plan is consistent, it can be continued to save, if not save shall be rejected. In case of save no further processing is needed and logic can be left.
Hint: Exporting parameter valid must be set to true for save and to false for save rejectionABAPCopy
* decide about save rejection IF bonusplan-isconsistent EQ abap_true. valid = abap_true. RETURN. ELSE. valid = abap_false. ENDIF.
If the bonus plan is not consistent, write the first found error into the message and end the logic processing.
These are the possible errors in detail:
ValidityEndDatemust be set
ValidityStartDatemust be earlier in time than
- Factors and Percentages must be > 0
- Percentages must be < 100
- LowBonusAssignmentFactor must be < HighBonusAssignmentFactor
- Employee ID must be set
* consistency error message START IF bonusplan-validitystartdate IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-validityenddate IS INITIAL. message = 'Validity Period must not be empty.'. RETURN. ELSEIF bonusplan-validitystartdate GE bonusplan-validityenddate. CONCATENATE 'Validity End Date' bonusplan-validityenddate 'must be later than Validity Start Date' bonusplan-validitystartdate '!' INTO message SEPARATED BY space. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-targetamount_v IS INITIAL. message = 'Target Amount must be over 0!'. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-targetamount_c IS INITIAL. message = 'Target Amount Currency must be set!'. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-lowbonusassignmentfactor IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-highbonusassignmentfactor IS INITIAL. message = 'Assignment Factors must be over 0!'. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-lowbonuspercentage_v IS INITIAL OR bonusplan-highbonuspercentage_v IS INITIAL. message = 'Percentages must be over 0!'. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-lowbonuspercentage_v GE 100 OR bonusplan-highbonuspercentage_v GE 100. message = 'Percentage must be below 100!'. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-lowbonusassignmentfactor GE bonusplan-highbonusassignmentfactor. message = 'Low Bonus Factor must be smaller than High Bonus Factor!'. RETURN. ENDIF. IF bonusplan-employeeid IS INITIAL. message = 'Employee ID must be set!'. RETURN. ENDIF. * consistency error message END
Publish the Before Save Logic
- Step 8
Once ensured that both logic implementations were successfully published you can start testing the Application like an end user via the UI.
- Open the Bonus Plan application
- Open the Bonus Plan with ID
- Edit this Bonus Plan
- Enter value
10into field Low Bonus Percentage
- Save the Bonus plan. You can see that your business logic works as the Percentage Units and the Employee Name get filled, but save fails due to the validation error messages for missing percentages.
- Enter value
20into field High Bonus Percentage
- Save the Bonus Plan. Now it will not be rejected.
- Step 9
In which type of custom business object logic are you able to change instance data?