Create Extended Storage
- How to connect to a SAP HANA database.
- How to verify the status of SAP HANA dynamic tiering.
- How to create extended storage for the dynamic tiering host.
- System Access to SAP Web IDE for the HANA System you are working with.
- Tutorials: Create a New User and Assign Permissions
- Step 1
Open and login to Web IDE. You should be greeted to a blank-looking screen. Click on the Database Explorer tab on the left, and click the “+” button in the new panel.
- In the new window, select SAP HANA Database (Multitenant) as the database type.
- Enter the host name and instance number of your HANA instance.
- Login with the appropriate credentials for the TPCH user we created.
- Check the save user and password box so you won’t have to re-enter your credentials when re-connecting to the system.
- Click OK to add the database.
- Step 2
To verify extended storage status, we will be using SAP HANA cockpit. Login to SAP HANA cockpit, click the Resources link at the top, and select the appropriate resource, which should be the tenant database in the HANA System you are working with.
In the Overall Database Status tile (at the top), click on the area indicating the running services.
A Manage Services window should pop up. Scroll down to the
esserverservice to see its status. If what you see is:
- Empty and/or the “SAP HANA dynamic tiering” line does not exist, it probably means that dynamic tiering is not installed. Please install and register dynamic tiering before proceeding.
- Status of “Errors” with a red circle. It might mean that dynamic tiering is not running. Please restart the dynamic tiering process before proceeding.
- Status of “Installed but not running yet” with a yellow triangle, then proceed to Create Extended Storage section below.
- Status of “Running” with a green box, then you are all set and can skip the rest of this tutorial section by scrolling to the bottom of this lesson and clicking the link to part 3.
What does the `esserver` service represent:
- Step 3
In Web IDE, right click on the database you are working with, and select Open SQL Console or use the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + C.
In the SQL console, paste the following script:SQLCopy
CREATE EXTENDED STORAGE AT '<your.machine.name>' size 1000 MB;
Replace “<your.machine.name>” with the host name of the machine where the dynamic tiering component is installed.
This script will create 1 GB of
dbspace. This is small for DT (warm store) which can scale up to handle 100 TB of data, but 1 GB is sufficient for tutorial purposes.
Execute the script using the green play button. It will create the extended storage
dbspacefor SAP HANA dynamic tiering. Repeat step 2 to verify that extended storage is setup successfully.
- Step 4
CREATE EXTENDED STORAGEstatement creates the warm store and the required
dbspaceis a logical name for a container of files used to store the dynamic tiering table data and related objects.
Dbspacesare specialized to manage specific types of data. Types of
dbspacesused by dynamic tiering include
ES_DELTAetc. Creating the extended storage
dbspaceis a prerequisite to creating extended tables.