Create a New User and Assign Permissions
- How to create users in the database (and to create the TPCH schema used throughout the guide).
- How to assign roles and privileges (permissions) to users.
- System: Access to an SAP HANA 2.0 system with the optional SAP HANA dynamic tiering component installed.
- Credentials: Connection details to initially connect to the tenant database as the tenant
- Access Access to SAP HANA cockpit for the SAP HANA system that data tiering is running on and which you will be working with.
- Step 1
We will begin by creating a new user which we will use throughout the tutorial. To do so, we must use HANA Cockpit. Login to HANA Cockpit, click the Resources link at the top, and select the appropriate resource, which should be a SAP HANA Tenant Database.
Scroll to the User and Role Management section, and click the Manage Users link.
At the bottom left, click the blue “+” button and select Create User.
In the new window, enter
TPCHas the username, and select password for Authentication Mechanism, and type in a password. The password requirement is at least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, and one digit. Select No for Force password change on next login and keep the other options as default.
Remember the password as you will need it to login as the TPCH user.
Click the Save button at the bottom-right to add the user.
- Step 2
Once the TPCH user is created, you will be redirected to a screen featuring this new user. Under Authorization Mode, click Assign Roles.
Click Edit, followed by add on the new window. Here, you can assign roles to the TPCH user. Search and assign all the following roles by clicking the checkbox beside them. Hit OK when you are done.
Confirm you have added all the roles, and hit Save followed by the back arrow.
Next, we will add the required privileges by clicking the Assign Privileges link under the Authorization Mode heading (same as before).
Follow the same steps as you did for assigning roles, and assign all of the following privileges:
EXTENDED STORAGE ADMIN
- Step 3
We will use this
TPCHuser through the tutorial. In the following tutorial, we will create extended storage to get started with dynamic tiering.
It is recommended to not use the SYSTEM user for day-to-day activities.